Cheshire cheese and pumpkin salad
Keep eating salads even though the temperature might be dropping - they are so good for you and this one tastes fabulous!
- 450g/1lb pumpkin or butternut squash (weighed without skin or seeds)1tbsp olive oil
- 175g (6oz) fine green beans
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 250g (9oz) baby spinach
- 100g (4oz) watercress
- Handful of rocket or lamb's lettuce
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 225g (8oz) Cheshire Cheese
- 50g (2oz) toasted pine nuts
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp walnut or sesame oil
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
Use flaked almonds instead of pine nuts, if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /fan 180°C/gas 6. Cut the pumpkin or butternut squash into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes and tip into the roasting pan.
- Add the olive oil, season with pepper, then toss to coat. Roast for about 25-30 mins, turning once, until tender. Meanwhile, lightly cook the green beans for 4-5 mins in boiling water.
- Drain, then rinse with cold water to cool quickly. Put the red onion, green beans, spinach, watercress, lambs lettuce or rocket and tomatoes into a salad bowl. Add the Cheshire cheese and pine nuts.
- Make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, walnut or sesame oil, vinegar and mustard. Season with black pepper.
- Add to the salad with the warm roasted pumpkin or squash. Toss the salad, share between 4 bowls and serve immediately.