Broccoli with crispy bacon, mozzarella and basil dressing
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is a simple recipe that we think will impress your family and friends. You'll need mozzarella and basil but don't let that put you off. It's a dish you'll want to make again and again.
- 300g Tenderstem® broccoli
- 100g smoked bacon
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red chilli, finely sliced (or use a few pinches of hot chilli flakes)
- 1tbsp (heaped tbsp) shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1tsp soy sauce
- 2 mozzarella balls (try the cheese counter at your supermarket)
- Heat up the frying pan and add the bacon and 1/2tsp of the oil.
- Cook over a moderate heat until the bacon becomes crispy. Add the chilli and cook for another 30 sec. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon and chilli from
- the pan onto a warm plate, keeping the tasty fats in the pan.
- Add the Tenderstem® broccoli to the pan and toss it to coat with
- the pan fats (making it even more tasty) and cook for 30 sec on high heat to colour a little. Add 4tbsp of hot water to the pan and immediately put the lid on.
- Cook over a moderately high heat for 1-2 mins with the lid on.
- Ideally the Tenderstem broccoli will still have some crunch to it.
- While the Tenderstem® broccoli is cooking, place the basil with the remaining olive oil in a jam jar and give it a shake with the lid on. Add the lemon juice and soy sauce and shake again.
- Cut each mozzarella ball into 6 slices.
- Once the Tenderstem® broccoli is cooked pile it onto 2 plates, then the mozzarella and spoon the bacon over that. Shake the dressing and drizzle it over the mozzarella.