Dairy-free Christmas cake
Makes: 5lb cake
This Christmas cake is packed with rum-soaked dried fruit and cherries, rich chestnut purée, soft brown sugar and honey for sweetness.
- 225g (8oz) dairy-free spread
- 900g (2lb) mixed dried fruit
- 100g (3 1/2oz) glace cherries
- 225ml (8fl oz) dark rum
- 5 free range eggs, separated
- 100g (3 1/2oz) unsweetened, tinned chestnut puree or tofu or 1 large banana
- 100g (3 1/2oz) rice flour
- 50g (1 3/4oz) gram flour (chick pea flour)
- 2tbsp mixed spice
- 225g (8oz) soft brown sugar
- 150ml (1/4pt) clear honey
This cake does not have a long shelf life and needs to be eaten within 2 weeks of making. It can be frozen.
- Soak the dried fruit and cherries in rum for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas 2. Using a little dairy-free spread, grease and line a 23cm (9in) deep cake tin with non stick baking parchment.
- Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks to the chestnut puree and blend until smooth.
- Mix the flours and mixed spice together. Cream the dairy-free spread and the sugar together and beat in spoonfuls of the chestnut puree mixture and the flour until all is added.
- Stir in the dried fruit with rum and honey. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 2-2 1/2 hrs. Store the cake wrapped in baking parchment and tinfoil until required.