Chocolate and almond cake
Cooking time:(may need 5 mins extra)
This rich chocolate and almond cake is a dessert to die for! Decadent, dark and delicious it makes a great change from Christmas cake or pudding.
- 200g (7oz) dairy-free spread
- 200g (7oz ) dairy-free plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 5 large free range eggs, separated
- 200g (7oz ) ground almonds
- Finely-grated zest of half a lemon
- Dairy-free cocoa powder to dust
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Grease a 23cm (9in) spring release tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Place the dairy-free spread and chocolate in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove from the heat and beat in the sugar and the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they reach soft peaks. Fold the ground almonds, lemon zest and egg whites into the chocolate mixture and transfer to the prepared tin.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 45-50 mins until well risen and firm to the touch. 5. Cool in the tin, transfer to a wire rack, removing the baking parchment. Leave to cool. The cake will flatten on cooling.
- Place on a serving plate and dust with the cocoa powder.