Mary Berry's mincemeat and apple and galette
Mary says: This is yet another new version of a mince pie, and is so much quicker to make. It looks impressive too.
For the shortbread crust:
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 75g (3oz) buter
- 40g (1 1/2 oz) icing sugar
- grated zest of 1 orange
For the topping:
- 225g (8oz) marzipan, coarsely grated
- 410g jar of good mincemeat
- about 2 red skinned dessert apples, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
- Measure the shortbread crust ingredients into the processor and whiz until the mixture comes together (do not add any liquid).
- Roll the pastry out on a floured flat baking sheet to form a round about 25cm (10 inches ) in diameter. Using your thumb and index finger, pinch the pastry all the way around the outside to form a crimped edge..
- Mix the grated marzipan with the mincemeat and spread over the shortbread circle, leaving a 1cm (1/ inch) gap around the edge. Arrange the apples in an overlapping spiral over the mincemeat and sprinkle with the remaining marzipan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 mins, until the shortbread is pale golden brown and crisp at the edges.
- Cook completely up to 24 hours ahead and reheat in a moderate oven until warm
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.