Balsamic roast chicken
Serves: 4 - 6
Skill level: Easy peasy
A delicious and basic roast chicken recipe, perfect for Sundays, and any other day of the week
- 1 medium whole chicken
- 1tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled
- pinch of sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Finely chop the rosemary and pound with the garlic and salt.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin and rub the oil all over chicken. Then rub in the rosemary mixture and sprinkle with pepper. If time allows cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F / gas 7.
- Cook the chicken for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 190°C / 375°F / gas mark 5 and roast for 20 minutes per 500g (17.6oz) plus 10-20 minutes extra.
- 30 minutes from end of cooking time, remove the chicken from the oven and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar. Return to the oven and allow the skin to crisp.
- Serve garnished with rosemary sprigs alongside a selection of vegetables.