Garlic roast chicken
Serves: 4 - 6
Skill level: Easy peasy
This delicious garlic roast chicken is perfect for any occasion, not just the Sunday lunch
- 1 medium whole chicken
- 6 heads of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / gas 5.
- Leave 4 heads of garlic whole and peel and slice the remaining cloves into slivers.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently pull the skin away from the breast and slide in 2 of the thyme sprigs. Use a knife to make 6 small slits in the chicken breast and carefully spear 6 garlic slivers into the slits.
- Tuck the lemons, the remaining thyme and a few garlic slivers into the cavity and place the chicken in a roasting tin. Scatter the remaining garlic heads around the chicken.
- Place chicken in the oven and roast for 20 mins per 500g plus 10-20 mins extra. The juices should run clear when the chicken thigh is pierced. If not, cook further.
- Serve the chicken surrounded by the roast garlic heads.