Cooking time:+ preparation
If you like meatballs, why not spice them up a bit by adding authentic Italian herbs. Fresh herbs are best but you can use dried herbs.
- 225g (8oz) extra-lean minced beef
- 225g (8oz) extra-lean minced pork
- 75g (3oz) White breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp dried oregano
- 1 chopped red chilli
- 1 pinch fennel seeds
- 1tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- 1x450g pouch original pasta sauce
- 1/2 ciabatta loaf, thinly sliced and toasted
- Low-fat mozzerella, broken up
- 20g (3/4oz) parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Place the meat, breadcrumbs, dried oregano, chilli, fennel seeds, rosemary, parsley and egg yolk in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and season with black pepper. Mix well and roll into balls.
- Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add a little olive oil, then fry the meatballs until brown all over.
- Add the sauce and bring to the boil, then lay the ciabatta croutes on top and sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and bake for 20 mins, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve with cooked pasta and a green salad