Darren Smith's best curry
Serves: 4 +
Skill level: Easy peasy
Darren Smith says 'the best curry you'll ever make,' so why not give it a try! This will serve about 4+ people, but you can re-heat any leftovers.
- 4 x chicken breasts
- 2 - 4tsp flour, sieved
- 1 cooking apple, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50g of frozen peas
- 2 chicken stock cubes dissolved in 1 1/2pt water
- 1tbsp curry paste (chilli and cumin)
- 1tbsp hot curry powder
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 3tbsp of mango chutney
- Salt to season
- Small knob of butter
- First fry the chicken in butter until browned then put to one side.
- In the same frying pan with the juices from the chicken, fry the onion and apple for around 5 mins or untill they begin to softened.
- Add in the curry paste and curry powder and mix together into a paste - this should take around 5 mins.
- Place half of the chicken stock into the onion and apple curry paste then stir in the flour until the sauce thickens to your liking.
- Cook for a further 5 mins then transfer the sauce into a large pan with the cooked chicken.
- Add in the cayenne pepper, ground ginger, a touch of salt, the mango chutney and the rest of your chicken stock - stir together on a high heat until it starts to bubble then reduce the heat right down and simmer for two hours, stirring every 10 mins or so to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- With about 30 - 40 mins before it's done, put in your frozen peas, then steam some rice and serve immediately.
Darren Smith, 32, from Slade Green, Kent Think you can do better? Please send in your recipes we'd love to hear from you.