Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
This recipe can be doubled up and prepared in advance or frozen in individual portions. If you have trouble getting your children to eat vegetables cut them into smaller dice and most won't know they are there.
- 4 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 small courgettes, cut into 2.5cm dice
- 2 small peppers, cored and cut into 2.5cm squares
- 300g butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large leeks, cut into discs, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 450g pre-cooked lasagne
- Grated pumpkin seeds
- 70g plain flour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 80g butter
- 250g cheddar cheese
- 1tsp mustard
- 8 tbsp tomato paste
- Ground salt and pepper, to season
- 2 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1.2lt (1200ml) milk
- 600ml water or vegetable stock
- To make your lasagne, preheat the oven 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Grease a deep ovenproof dish, or individual dishes with a little oil.
- In a frying pan add the onions, courgettes, peppers, butternut squash, leeks and garlic in the remaining oil for a few mins, then add the herbs, tomatoes, tomato puree, seasoning and water or stock. Bubble for 10-15 mins.
- To make the sauce, place butter, flour, milk and mustard in a small saucepan and whisk continuously over medium heat until the sauce begins to boil and thicken. Turn down the heat to its lowest and let the sauce cook for 2 mins. Add the grated cheese, 1/4 of the white sauce, and 1/3 third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle in 1/3 of the remaining cheese and follow this with a single layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat this process, ending up with a final layer of sauce and a good sprinkling of cheese and the pumpkin seeds for added crunch.
- Cook in the oven for 25-30 mins or until golden and bubbling.