Turkey and ham pie
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Turkey and ham pie is the perfect way to make the most of your Christmas leftovers. A traditional turkey and ham pie contains lots of vegetable and is the perfect 'use up' dish. You can add almost any veg you like to your pie, which is fab if you've got lots of greens leftover from Christmas day. Of course, you can make this turkey and ham pie any time of year, not just at Christmas. It's really delicious comfort food and you will find yourself making it time and time again. If you're looking for a comforting, filling and delicious pie recipe, this turkey and ham pie is the perfect option. The whole family will love it!
- 25g flour
- 1lt turkey or chicken stock
- 350g cooked turkey or chicken cut into chunks or strips
- 125g cooked ham cut into chunks
- 6 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2tbsp chopped parsley
- 200g ready make shortcrust pastry
- 90g butter
- 75g flour
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- A pinch of salt and ground pepper
You can freeze your turkey and ham pie. Simply cook it and allow it to cool. Then freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to defrost fully before re-heating
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/gas 7.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan and add the onions, carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour off the heat. Whisk in the chicken stock and cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time until the sauce is smooth. Season well and add the mustard.
- Place the chicken pieces, ham and leeks in the bottom of an oval pie dish, sprinkle with the fresh parsley and pour over the sauce.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cover the pie dish with the pastry.
- Brush the top of the pastry with a little beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins. After this time reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and bake for a further 15 mins.