Parcel of haggis
Skill level: Bit of effort
These delicious pastry parcels are a great haggis dish to serve as finger food or with a main meal for Burns Night.
- 4 x 100g slice of haggis (you can buy this cheap and ready-packaged from supermarkets)
- 400g filo pastry
- 2tbsp light oil
- 1 beetroot slices of beetroot, drained
- 4tbsp cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney
- Egg wash (1 beaten egg)
- 1 leek
Top tip: Cover the filo pastry with a lightly dampened clean cloth to stop it drying out while you are not working with it.
- These parcels can be made to any size, if you want small finger bite-sized or larger main course size.
- Unroll the pastry and place it on a flat surface. Take out just the number of sheets you need for the recipe and put the rest of it back in the fridge.
- Carefully layer three - four sheets of the pastry, brushing each of the layers very lightly with oil. In the centre of each sheet, place a slice of haggis and top with sliced beetroot and the cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney.
- Wrap the pastry into a parcel and tie with a narrow ribbon of leek. Brush the parcels with egg wash, place on baking tray and bake in a pre-heated moderate oven 160ºC (320ºF, gas mark 2-3) for approximately 25 mins until thoroughly cooked and golden brown.