Bangers and apple mash
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If you love sausage and mash you're going to love thsi recipe. The mash is infused with sweet dessert apples for a rustic taste. The tender pork sausages are perfect served on top of a bed of homemade gravy and fried onions. Serve with fresh greens like broccoli or French beans and watch it disappear in mintues.
- 8 Pork Sausages
- 700g Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 (650g) dessert apples
- 15g Butter
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4tbsp instant gravy mix or make your own gravy
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Cook the sausages to your liking.
- Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pan with just enough water to cover and season with salt. Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 10 mins.
- Peel and quarter 2 of the apples and add to the potatoes, simmer for 5 mins or until both are tender. Drain, reserving 1pt of the cooking liquid and mash with the butter. Season to taste.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, add the onion and sauté for 5 mins or until golden.
- Quarter, core and grate the remaining apple add to the onions and sauté for a further 6-8 mins or until tender and golden. Add the reserved cooking liquid and gravy mix and stir well until the gravy thickens. Serve the mash and gravy alongside the bangers.