Five spice pork and mushroom stir-fry
Pork and mushrooms in a spicy Chinese stir-fry - a great, quick and tasty recipe if you're on the go and it's good for you!
- 450g (1lb) pork loin steaks, fat trimmed and sliced
- 3tbsp (45ml) oyster sauce
- 30ml/2 tbsp corn flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp (30ml) groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1in (2.5cm) piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1tsp (5ml) crushed dried chilli flakes
- 2 carrots, cut into fine sticks
- 175g (6oz) pak choy, washed and sliced
- 200g (7oz) large flat white mushrooms, sliced
- 150g (5oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2tbsp (30ml) dark soy sauce
- 2tbsp (30ml) rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2tsp (2.5ml) Chinese five spice powder
- 300ml (1/2pt) chicken stock
- 1tbsp (15ml) corn flour mixed with 2tbsp cold water
- sliced spring onion to garnish
Lean pork is a good source of protein and B vitamins which are needed for the release of energy. The mushrooms also supply B vitamins as well as the antioxidant nutrient selenium, which is needed to protect the body cells against diseases such as cancer.
- Mix the oyster sauce, cornflour and a little seasoning together in a bowl, add the pork and mix well. Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. Add the pork and stir-fry for 3 - 4 mins until golden brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir fry for 30 secs. Add the carrots, pak hoy, and mushrooms and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Next add the soy, rice wine and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 min. Stir in the cornflour mixture and cook for a further 1 min, stirring until the sauce thickens. Sprinkle over the spring onions and serve with Jasmine rice.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 296(kcal)
- Fat 11.2g
- Saturates 2.9g
- Sugars 4.5g
- Salt g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.