Pommes Anna with eggs
Prep time:(may take an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Bit of effort
This classic French dish is perfect for brunch with buttery potatoes, runny egg and a tasty homemade rocket pesto sauce.
- 1.25kg new potatoes, peeled
- 50g wild rocket, washed
- 35g shelled walnuts
- 25g flaked almonds
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 2tsp white wine vinegar
- 4tsp stock powder
- 3tsp very finely chopped rosemary
- 8 free range eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (400ºF, gas mark 6). Grease a 20-25cm square oven-proof dish.
- Slice the new potatoes quite thinly. Divide the slices between the dishes in 2 or 3 layers, sprinkling each layer with a pinch of salt, a grind of pepper, using 1½ tsp of the rosemary for all the layers. Use 2tsp of the stock powder to make up some stock with 250ml boiling water. Pour this over the potatoes so that the stock comes about half way up the potatoes.
- Use a little of the oil to brush the top of the potatoes. Cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for about 50 mins until the potatoes are soft. Remove the foil and return to the oven for another 5-10 mins to colour the top slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the rocket, walnuts, almonds, garlic, oil, vinegar and remaining stock powder and rosemary into a liquidizer and blend until you have a soft paste consistency.
- When the potatoes are cooked, poach the eggs in a poacher. Serve the eggs on top of each portion of potatoes, with the pesto either spooned on each side of the eggs, or in a separate small bowl for each person.