Cooking time:30 mins plus cooling time
This is a great recipe for a Easter breakfast or lunch, with beetroot and creamy goat's cheese.
- 400g fresh red rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5tbs white sugar
- 350g fresh whole beetroot (about 2 medium / large beetroot)
- 4 crumpets
- 200g vegetarian Somerset goat's cheese, cut into 12 slices
- 35g butter for crumpets (or to taste)
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- Put the rhubarb, ginger, sugar and garlic into a processor and process until very finely chopped. Turn into a small saucepan and simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hr until thick, stirring now and again to stop burning on the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool.
- Scrub the beetroot and cut the stalks down to 2.5cm above the bulb. Either: Boil in plenty of water until soft for about 40 - 50 mins depending on size. Drain, cover, and leave to cool for about 1 - 2 hrs) Or wrap in foil and bake at 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6 for about 40-60 mins until soft, depending on the size of the beetroot. Leave to cool then skin the beetroot and slice thinly.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Toast the crumpets and lightly butter them. Place on a baking tray and divide the sliced beetroot and goat's cheese between them. Place in the oven for about 5 - 7 mins until warmed through. Garnish with a mint leaf and serve with the marmalade in small ramekins on the side.