Smarties cookies are the best recipe to get the kids involved in cooking! They'll love helping you make these colourful cookies - decorate them with Smarties, or other sweets, so let them be creative. This is the best recipe if you need to keep the kids occupied - whether it's after school or during the holidays, it's a really fun recipe that always delivers foolproof results. You'll find yourself making these cookies time and time again!
- 100g (4oz butter)175g (6oz) light soft brown sugar
- 60ml (4tbsp) golden syrup
- 350g (12oz) plain flour
- 5ml (1tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 10ml (2tsp) ground ginger
- 1 large egg, beaten
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 65g (1 1/2oz) icing sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Smarties and ribbons
- To make this cookie recipe, preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Oil two baking sheets.
- In a small pan, melt the butter, sugar and syrup together until just smooth and cool. Sift the flour, soda, and ginger together into a bowl. Stir the butter mixture into the flour with the egg and lemon rind, to make a firm dough.
- Roll out the mixture on a lightly floured surface and use a 7.5cm (3in) round cutter to press out about 20 rounds. Re-roll the dough as necessary. Transfer to the baking sheets, then gently pull each to make egg shapes and use a skewer to make a hole in the top of each - this is where the ribbon will be threaded through. Bake for 10-12 mins or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To decorate, mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together and spoon into a greaseproof paper piping bag. Stick Smarties all over the Easter eggs attaching them with the icing. Leave to set. Finally thread ribbon through each of the biscuits and hang up if liked.