How to make bearnaise sauce
If the bearnaise sauce looks like it is going to curdle, add a little cold water or cream and remove from the heat, whisk for 1 minute then continue
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 6 black peppercorns
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150g butter, chilled and diced
- 1 handful fresh tarragon, chopped
- Put the vinegar, shallot and peppercorns into a small pan with 2 tbsp water and bring to the boil. Simmer until very little liquid is left (about 1 tbsp).
- Strain the reduced mixture into a heatproof bowl and add egg yolks. Sit the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Add the mustard and whisk well.
- Add the butter, a cube at a time, whisking gently. The bernaise sauce will thicken so keep whisking until it is creamy and thick.
- When all the butter is added and the sauce is creamy, stir through the tarragon and serve.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.