Pepper sauce recipe
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This classic pepper sauce is much easier to make than your may think. With plenty of flavour and a tangy kick, this sauce is ideal drizzled on a tender cut of steak or a soft and succulent pork chop. The main ingredients in this recipe are mushrooms, peppercorn, white wine and cream cheese. These simple ingredients make one mouth-watering sauce that you'll want to make time and time again. Once you've tried this pepper sauce, you'll never look at a jar of readymade in the same way again. This rich peppercorn sauce serves between 4-6 people depending on how much you pour per person.
- Small knob of butter
- 50g (2oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 2tbsp white wine
- 2tbsp low-fat soft cream cheese
- 3tbsp milk
Peppercorn sauce is best served from fresh but you can prepare the sauce in advance and reheat if you're short on time
- Add small knob of butter to pan and melt. Add mushrooms, sliced, and cook for 1-2 mins. Add the peppercorns, wine and deglaze the pan (cook off the juices from the bottom of the pan with the wine).
- Remove from the heat and add the low-fat soft cream cheese and milk. Return to heat and warm through gently, stirring to make a creamy sauce for approximately 1 min.