Pesto chicken with caramelised aubergine, roast tomatoes and olives
Go for a taste of the Mediterranean with this delicious dish that's full of flavour.
- 6 chicken mini-fillets (around 250g (9 oz))
- 2 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large aubergine, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 sachet green pesto
- 8 black olives, stoned and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Put a baking tray into the oven to heat through. Coat the chicken fillets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Toss the aubergine with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the honey and chilli sauce and season with a little salt. Take the hot baking tray out of the oven and speedily tip the aubergine onto it. Spread out and return to the oven. Roast for 40 mins, turning once or twice.
- Arrange the tomato halves in a lightly oiled oven-proof dish, cut-sides up and drizzle 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over them. Season with salt and pepper. Put in the oven about 10 minutes after the aubergine and leave to roast for 30 mins until very tender.
- About 10 mins before aubergine and tomatoes finish cooking, heat a medium frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the chicken mini fillets and fry for 2-3 mins on each side until golden brown and just cooked through. Toss with the pesto.
- To serve, divide tomatoes between plates, add the tender aubergine pieces, then top with chicken and scatter with olives.