Thai chicken soup
This soup is soothing and aromatic. For a delicious vegetarian dish, swap the chicken with tofu.
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 3 pieces galangal, finely sliced
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 stalks lemongrass, finely sliced
- 4 coriander root or 20 stems
- 6 shallots
- 2 small green chilli
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200g sliced chicken breast OR 100g diced silken tofu
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- Put the stock in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the galangal, Kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, crushed coriander, shallot and chilli, Simmer for 1 min, then add the coconut milk and continue to simmer for another 1-2 mins.
- Add the chicken or tofu, fish sauce, sugar, tamarind and lemon juice - if using chicken, leave to simmer until cooked through.
- Bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat and serve in a dish topped with the chilli oil.