Beer battered prawns
These prawns are light and crisp, and perfect with a hot and spicy chilli dipping sauce.
- 1 bottle Singha beer
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 12 raw tiger prawns
- 5 spring onions
- 5 mange tout
- 1 red pepper, cut into thick strips
- 5 asparagus spears
- 200g plain flour, for dusting
- hot sweet chilli dipping sauce
- Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for a day).
- Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a wok or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 190C/375F, quickly dredge the vegetables and prawns with flour, shaking off excess. Dip in the beer batter, coating well, and carefully drop them into the hot oil (do this in small batches otherwise they will stick together).
- When the vegetables and prawns are brown on one side - less than 1 min - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve hot with sweet chilli dipping sauce.