Cocoa chilli pork ribs
Skill level: Easy peasy
An unique take on a old favourite - these bold flavours are sure to impress dinner guests
- 100g (4oz) brown sugar
- 4tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4tsp garlic salt
- 1tbs mild chilli powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 900g (2lb) pork spare ribs
- 150ml (1/4 pint) apple juice
- 4tbs tomato purée
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400°F/gas 6.
- Place the ribs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, reduce the
- heat and simmer for 1 hr.
- Drain and place on a baking tray and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix together the sugar, cocoa powder, garlic salt, mild chilli powder and cinnamon
- in a small bowl. Reserve 3tbs of this spice mixture for the sauce.
- Rub the remaining spice mixture over the ribs, until well coated. Place the ribs in a
- single layer on a foil-lined roasting pan. Cover with foil and roast in the oven for 30
- Meanwhile make the sauce, gently heat the apple juice, tomato purée and reserved
- spice mixture until well combined and glossy. Use half the sauce to baste the ribs and
- return to the oven for a further 10 mins, until the ribs are sticky and glossy.
- Place the other half of the sauce in a serving bowl.
www.schwartz.co.uk Save money on food with our coupons. Simply cut them out and take them to the shops with you. Sign up for goodtoknow's free newsletter, packed with exclusive offers & comps!