Spicy Indonesian grilled fish
Prep time:plus 30 to marinate
Skill level: Easy peasy
Chillis and lemongrass create a dynamic duo of flavours in this full bodied fish dish.
- 2 whole cardamom pods
- 1/4tsp crushed chillies
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp sea salt
- 5 shallots, finely diced
- 2 stems of lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, and then finely diced
- 1tsp turmeric
- 2 limes
- 200ml (7fl oz) coconut cream
- 4 whole mackerel, cleaned
- Gently grind the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the crushed chillies, ground ginger and salt and grind.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in the shallots, lemongrass and turmeric.
- Cut the limes in half and scoop out the flesh. Dice the flesh and add to the bowl.
- Stir in the coconut cream and mix together.
- Cut three diagonal slits in each side of the mackerel down to the bone to allow the marinade to penetrate right into the centre.
- Add the mackerel and coat evenly with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins to marinate.
- Pre-heat the grill to hot and grill the mackerel for 4-5 mins on each side, basting frequently, until browned and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.