Lemongrass monkfish with aubergine mash
Skill level: Easy peasy
The gentle flavours of the lemongrass work brilliantly with the rich aubergine and anchovy mash, creating an impressive fish dish
- 3tbs olive oil2 sticks lemongrass, outer layers removed, finely diced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 monkfish fillets, skinned
- 4tbs olive oil
- 3-4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 aubergines
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1tsp (1 clove) garlic
- Pinch of cumin seeds
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC/gas 6.
- Mix 2tbs olive oil, the chopped lemongrass, lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Add the monkfish and leave to marinade for 30 mins.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Once it's hot, add the fish and brown lightly on both sides.
- Transfer to a roasting tray, season well, drizzle over the remaining marinade and roast in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the aubergine caviar. Pour the olive oil into a saucepan, add the crushed cardamom pods and leave to infuse over a very low heat for 30 mins. Do not allow to boil. Strain and set aside.
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, score the flesh and add a few drops of olive oil. Bake for around 45 mins, until softened. Remove the flesh with a spoon. Roughly dice with the anchovies and blend with the cardamom olive oil, Garlic and Cumin
- Seeds. Season well and refrigerate until cold.
- Serve the cooked monkfish with a spoonful of aubergine caviar.