Lemongrass and lychee martini
Prep time:plus refrigeration time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Splashing out
This twist on the classic martini is as refreshing as it is delicious. A real cocktail party show-stealer
For the lemongrass sugar syrup:
- 175g (5oz) caster sugar
- 225ml (8fl oz) water
- 4 stalks lemon grass, cut into thirds
- 1tbs juniper berries
For each martini:
- 50ml (2fl oz) vodka
- 1tbs lemongrass sugar syrup
- 2tsp lychee juice (from canned lychees)
- 2tsp pomegranate juice
- Sparkling water
- Pomegranate seeds
- Cocktail stick, slice of lime and lychees
- To make the sugar syrup, mix together the sugar, water, lemongrass and juniper berries in a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 mins, or until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Strain the syrup into a plastic container and refrigerate until ready to use. The syrup can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.
- To make the martini, fill a cocktail shaker with 1tbs crushed ice. Add the vodka, lemongrass sugar syrup, lychee juice and pomegranate juice, shake until well mixed and chilled. Strain into a martini glass, top up with sparkling water as desired and add a few pomegranate seeds. Slowly pour the pomegranate juice over the back of a spoon so that the juice settles at the bottom of the glass.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a lychee and lime slice threaded onto a cocktail stick.