Field salad with strawberries, kumquats and rose petals
This exotic salad is a real show-stopper for a special occasion
- 1 x 200g bag mixed salad leaves200g (7oz) strawberries100g (4oz) kumquats, rinsed and sliced
- 50g (2oz) pine nuts
- 12 crystallised rose petals (see below)
Rose and poppy seed vinaigrette:
- 75ml (3fl oz) olive oil
- 50ml (2fl oz) honey
- 3tbs white wine vinegar
- 1tsp rose water
- 1/2tsp mustard seed
- 1/4tsp sea salt
- Toss the salad ingredients together in a large serving bowl.
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients together with a wire whisk, until well blended.
- Drizzle over the salad and serve.
- Crystallised rose petals:
- Rinse 12 unbruised, pesticide-free rose petals. Leave to air dry completely on paper towel. Add 200g icing sugar, 1 1/2tsp meringue powder and 3tbs water to a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on a low speed until mixed. Beat on high speed 4 to 5 mins or until fluffy. Using tweezers to hold the rose petals, brush a thin layer of meringue mixture on both sides of each rose petal with a small, soft paint brush. Sprinkle both sides with granulated sugar. Let stand on wire racks for 24 hrs. Store the petals in an airtight container between layers of wax paper.