Lentil fritters with raita
Bursting with flavour these fritters are a great for picnics and light lunches
- 100g lentils
- 75g plain flour
- 1 egg
- 150ml milk
- 1tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- 1tsp salt
- 2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2tbsp coriander, chopped
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 6 spring onions
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 5tbsp Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to season
- Cook the lentils as directed on the pack until just tender but still al dente. Drain well.
- Whisk together the flour, egg, milk, cumin and salt until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a bowl and stir in the lentils, one of the chopped chillies and the coriander, and set aside.
- Trim the spring onions and thinly slice, roughly chop the tomatoes and stir both into the yogurt, season with salt and pepper and add the remaining chopped chilli.
- To cook the fritters heat 3 or 4tbsps of the vegetable oil in a large heavy based frying pan. Take a large tablespoon and drop 3 or 4 spoonfuls of the lentil mixture into the pan. Cook over a medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until beginning to crisp and turning golden, then using a fish slice, turn over to cook the other side, use more oil if needed.
- Serve the lentil fritters with the spring onion, tomato and yogurt raita.