Grilled cauliflower soup
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
This simple, tasty grilled cauliflower soup will become a family favourite and the cheesy crust makes it a bit different - plus it's low-fat which is great if you're looking for a guilt-free option! Make a batch and freeze it or store it in the fridge. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 55 mins to prepare and cook. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be frozen too if you've made a little bit too much. This cauliflower soup certainly has a delicious cheesy twist which you'll want to try. Serve with crusty bread and watch is disappear in minutes.
- 1 medium cauliflower, about (850g), broken into florets
- 350g onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp flour
- 900ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500ml low-salt chicken stock, or vegetable stock if you're making it for vegetarians
- 125g low-fat hard cheese, finely grated
- 1tsp paprika
- Ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and stir in the onion and cauliflower, garlic and rosemary. Cook, stirring, for at least 10 mins or until the onion is very soft and a golden colour.
- Stir in the flour, milk and chicken stock. Season and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 30-35 mins or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Cool the soup a little then puree in a blender or processor. Return the soup to the rinsed pan and reheat gently. Dilute, if necessary, with a little extra stock and season.
- Turn the grill on to high and place the bowls in a roasting tin. Stir 50g low-fat grated hard cheese into the soup and ladle into shallow heatproof soup bowls (the bowls need to be quite full).
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese and a little paprika over the soup.
- Boil a kettle of water and pour the hot water into the roasting tin around the base of the bowls. Using oven gloves, carefully lift the roasting pan under the grill and cook for about 5-10 mins or until the tops are golden and bubbling.
- Carefully remove the roasting tin from the grill and lift the bowls out. Gently wipe dry and garnish with rocket leaves if you want. Serve the soup with warm crusty bread or cheese scones.