Mushroom, bacon and pea risotto
A little goes a long way in this mushroom, bacon and pea risotto recipe. It's a great dish if you're stuck with leftovers in the fridge, and is the perfect alternative to a traditional Carbonara pasta dish using they key ingredients of cheese, mushroom, bacon and peas. If you are on a healthy diet then use low-fat cheese - you won't lose any flavour but you'll cut down on fat and calories - the ideal combination!
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 75g low-salt lean back bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1lt low-salt chicken stock
- 350g Arborio rice
- Ground black pepper
- 60ml white wine
- The whole rind of 1 lemon (a whole rind is easier to remove later)
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 75g petit pois or garden peas, thawed
- 125g low-fat hard cheese, finely grated
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan and keep it at barely simmering point.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan, add the onion, bacon, leek and 2tbsp water and cook for about 2-3 mins or until the mixture begins to soften.
- Stir in the rice and season well. Add the wine, lemon rind and lemon juice and two large tbsps of stock. Cook gently, stirring occasionally until the wine and stock is absorbed.
- Add the mushrooms and gradually add the simmering liquid, a spoonful at a time, let the mixture absorb the stock before adding each spoonful. Keep stirring and adding stock, this will take about 25 mins.
- When most of the stock has been added and the rice is creamy, add the peas and low-fat grated hard cheese and stir until the cheese begins to melt. Remove the lemon rind and season to taste.
- Serve the risotto with salad or rocket leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.