Summer vegetable tagine
Skill level: Easy peasy
If you're having a barbecue and you're stuck for a vegetable dish why not try this tagine, it sounds exotic but is really simple to make and goes well with pork or grilled fish
- 1kg vine tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 250g green beans, blanched and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 175g podded broad beans, blanched and peeled to remove tough outer skin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp cardamom seeds
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp tomato pureé
- 2tsp runny honey
- 35g toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- Sauté the onion in 2tbsp olive oil until soft before adding the tomatoes and spices. Cook gently until the tomatoes start to break up.
- Add the pureé, the other 2tbsp oil and a little water if the sauce seems too thick. Season well.
- Add the green beans and simmer gently for 15-20 mins until cooked but still crunchy, adding a little water if necessary.
- Stir in the honey and the broad beans and simmer for a further 5 mins, at which point the sauce should be quite thick.
- Season to taste and serve with couscous or pita bread.