Grilled vegetable tian
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A tian is like a layered flan - really quick and easy to make and looks impressive. A tasty accompaniment to fish, white meat or on its own
- 250g aubergine
- 400g courgettes
- 3 Ramiro peppers
- 75-90ml olive oil
- 1tbsp pesto
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60g ciabatta or focaccia bread slices, or thick chunks of bread
- 2tbsp parsley
- 2tbsp basil
- 80g Cheshire cheese, finely grated
- Heat oven to 200ºC (400ºF, gas mark 6).
- Cut the aubergine and courgette into 5mm slices and the peppers into thick wedges.
- Mix the oil with the pesto and garlic.
- Heat a large pan and brush the vegetables lightly with the oil mixture and cook on both sides until they start to soften.
- Whiz the bread with the herbs in a food processor. Season well.
- In a ceramic quiche (26cm) or casserole dish (approx 26cm x 22cm) sprinkle a layer of half the breadcrumbs on the base. Then arrange the aubergine and courgettes in overlapping circles or rows, leaving room to place the peppers in the centre.
- Add the cheese to the remaining breadcrumb mixture and scatter over the top of the tian. Bake in the oven for 20 mins until crisp.
- Season to taste and serve at room temperature, with a salad.