Costs: Cheap as chips
A great recipe for turning a baked potato into a healthy kids' treat. The butternut squash in this is rich in Vitamin A, which is important for healthy skin, eyesight and fighting infections.
For the baked potatoes:
- 4 medium baking potatoes (approx 225g each)
- A little vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium butternut squash (approx 300g)
- 40g butter
- 40g fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp whole milk
- 40g grated Cheddar cheese
For the decoration:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Spring onions
- Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5.
- Prick the potatoes in several places, place on a baking tray and brush all over with the oil. Bake in the oven for 1 - 1 1/4 hrs or until the potatoes feel soft when pressed.
- Cut a medium butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and brush with a knob of melted butter and bake in the oven for about 40 mins or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the tops off the baked potatoes and scoop out the flesh. Scoop out the flesh of the cooked butternut squash and mash together with the baked potato flesh, mustard, parmesan, milk and butter. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Put the mixture back into the potato shells, cover with the grated Cheddar and cook under a pre-heated grill for a few mins until golden.
- Make a nose and whiskers with a cherry tomato held in place with a cocktail stick and chives tucked behind and finish off with raisin eyes, radish ears and spring onion tails.