Grilled tuna salad
Ditch the tin of tuna and try a grilled tuna steak instead. It has the same mild flavour but a meatier texture. This recipe with baby tomatoes and cheese also works well with chicken
- 450g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Ground black pepper
- 2tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 2tbsp thyme sprigs
- Olive oil spray oil
- 100g half-fat hard cheese, crumbled into small pieces
For the dressing:
- 1tbsp virgin olive oil
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tsp white wine vinegar
- 3tbsp chopped chives and fresh basil
- 4 x 175g tuna steaks
- Salad leaves to serve
- Preheat a grill or barbecue.
- Put the tomatoes into a shallow oven-proof dish and season with black pepper and sprinkle over capers, thyme sprigs and drizzle with the olive oil. Grill for 10 mins or until the tomatoes are tender but still retain their shape.
- Sprinkle over the half-fat hard cheese and turn off the grill but leave the tomatoes under the heat whilst you cook the tuna and make the dressing.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, sugar, herbs and any juices from the grilled tomato dish.
- Season the tuna steaks with black pepper and lightly cover with a few sprays of olive oil spray oil.
- Lift the steaks directly onto the barbecue or place on a baking sheet under a hot grill. Cook for 10-12 mins or until just cooked and rare in the middle.
- Arrange a pile of salad leaves on serving plates and spoon over the warm tomatoes and cheese, break the tuna steak into pieces and arrange over the top, drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.