Sausages with warm apple salad
Costs: Cheap as chips
This dish looks impressive but it's so easy to make - and it's a good recipe to make sausages more interesting and use up apples that are on the turn
- 1tbsp white wine vinegar
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 large tbsp runny honey
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- 1tbsp grain mustard
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 100ml water
- 200ml rapeseed or vegetable oil
For the salad:
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 1/2 red onion (finely sliced)
- 1 large eating apple
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Pan fry or grill sausages.
- Whisk the first 6 dressing ingredients together and season. Then whisk in the water and then gradually add oil, to keep the dressing runny.
- Cut the fennel into quarters, removing the leafy tops and set aside.
- Slice fennel very thinly and mix with the sliced onion and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with 1/2tsp of salt.
- Peel, core and slice the apple and toss with the fennel and onion.
- Slice the sausage into thick chunks and toss with the salad ingredients.
- Pour over the dressing and serve.