Coconut and cardamom semolina puds
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 100ml (3½ fl oz) full-cream or semi-skimmed milk
- 10 cardamom pods, husks removed, seeds ground, to make
- ½t sp ground cardamom
- 60g (2oz) semolina
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1tbsp coconut shavings, to decorate, optional
For the sauce:
- 1 small, ripe, mango
- 2-3 tsp lime juice
- Icing sugar, optional
- 3 fairly small cups, or dariole moulds, rinsed with cold water
To toast the coconut, spread it on a baking tray and bake at 180°C (gas mark 4) for 3-5 mins. Keep an eye on it! The puds are not suitable for freezing Per pudding477 calories; 21g fat
- Mix the two milks in a pan. Sprinkle in the ground cardamom and warm through. Bring to the boil, whisk in the semolina and beat well to make the mixture smooth.
- Reduce the heat, add the sugar and simmer for a minutes to thicken the semolina. Pour it into the prepared cups or moulds, cool and leave to set in the fridge. It will take a couple of hours, or leave them overnight.
- To make the sauce, remove the skin and stone from the mango. Put the flesh into a food processor with the lime juice and whizz until smooth. Sieve it to make it smoother, if you like, and sweeten it with some icing sugar (to taste), but you'll probably find it's sweet enough.
- To turn out the puddings, dip your forefinger in hot water and carefully run it around the edge of the surface of the pudding to ease it away from the mould. Place a plate over the top and give the puddings a good shake to turn them out. Spoon some mango sauce round and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 477(kcal)
- Fat 21.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.