Caramelised pear tart
For the topping
- 30g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 60g (2oz) soft brown sugar
- 3 firm pears
For the pastry:
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, diced
- 30g (1oz) icing sugar
- 1 medium egg yolk
- Custard or crème fraîche, to serve
- 20-21 cm (8-81/2 in) shallow cake tin
- To make the pastry, sift the flour, add the butter and rub it in. Sift in the icing sugar and stir in the egg yolk mixed with 1tbsp cold water.
- Mix to a dough, then knead on a surface until smooth. Roll out a circle that's the same size as the tin. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill until ready to use, or up to the next day is fine.
- Set the oven to 180°C (360F / gas mark 4). Melt the butter and brush a little over the inside of the cake tin. Line the base of the tin with greaseproof paper and brush it with the rest of the melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar over evenly and press it down.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the pears. Arrange them, hollow-side up, pushing the slices apart a little, on the brown sugar. Place the pastry over the top and press it down. Bake for 35-40 mins until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool for 5 mins, then turn out on to a serving plate. Serve tart warm with custard or crème fraîche. (This tart isn't suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 282(kcal)
- Fat 14.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.