Cheesy cod with green bean salad
A delicious healthy and filling dish and the cod really soaks up the creamy cheese sauce. And you can use any left over sauce on toast or chicken breasts.
For the cod dish:
- 100ml semi-skimmed milk
- 200g low-fat hard cheese, grated
- 25g plain flour
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2tsp English mustard powder
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Ground black pepper
- 1 egg and 1 yolk
- 6 skinless cod fillets, each weighing about 150g each
- Olive oil spray oil
For the green bean salad:
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 250g French beans, trimmed and halved
- 100g cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- A handful basil sprigs
- Boiled new potatoes to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400F/gas 6.
- Put the milk in a saucepan with the grated low-fat hard cheese and melt over a very gentle heat. When smooth stir in the flour, crumbs and mustard. Continue to cook, stirring, over a low heat until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic and seasoning. Let it cool a little before blending or beating in the eggs. Cover until ready to use.
- Place the cod fillets in a single layer in a shallow, heatproof serving dish and lightly spray fillets with olive oil spray oil and seasoning.
- Cook uncovered for about 10 mins or until just cooked.
- Remove the fish and beat any pan juices into the reserved cheese mixture. Divide the cheese mixture over each fish fillet and place under a hot grill for about 2-3 mins or until golden and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in boiling water for 2-3 mins, drain and add the chopped tomatoes, basil and olive oil, season with black pepper.
- Serve the fish on the bean salad and accompany with boiled new potatoes.