Creamy cod rarebit with Edam
Skill level: Easy peasy
If the kids are fussy about eating fish, try this tasty creamy cod rarebit with Edam, perfect with mashed potatoes and peas.
- 4 x 150g (5oz) cod loins or chunky cod fillets
- 300ml (˝pt) semi- skimmed milk
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g (1ľoz) butter
- 50g (1ľoz) plain flour
- 125g (4˝oz) Edam cheese, grated
- 5ml (1tsp) English mustard
- 2 egg yolks
- 10ml (2tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly chopped parsley
This recipe also works well with smoked haddock or other firm white fish. For a change, try serving with boiled new potatoes and fresh spring greens.
- Place the milk in a large saucepan and add the peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Add the cod in a single layer, bring to the boil then cover and simmer gently for 2-3 mins, until half cooked.
- Carefully remove the cod with a fish slice, place in an ovenproof dish and keep warm. Reserve the milk.
- Gently melt the butter in a medium pan and stir in the flour to make a paste.
- Strain the milk and gradually add to the paste, whisking continuously until a smooth thick sauce is formed. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, mustard, egg yolks, Worcestershire sauce and parsley.
- Preheat the grill to high, top the fish with the mixture and grill for 4-6 mins until bubbling and golden. Serve at once with mashed potatoes and peas.