Edam, bacon and sun-dried tomato muffins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
These Edam cheese muffins with bacon and sun-dried tomatoes are great for hampers, picnics and kids' lunchboxes. Delicious warm or cold.
- 100g (3½oz) smoked back bacon rashers
- 275g (10oz) plain flour
- 15ml (1tbsp) baking powder
- 5ml (1tsp) caster sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) salt
- 125g (4oz) Edam cheese, grated
- 75g (2¾oz) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 30ml (2tbsp) freshly snipped chives
- 2 eggs
- 200ml (7floz) semi- skimmed milk
- 75g (2¾oz) butter, melted
For a change, use cooked diced ham instead of bacon. These muffins are best eaten the day they're made, but you can also store them in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC, gas mark 5).
- Line a muffin tin with 10 paper muffin cases.
- Grill the bacon until crispy and chop into pieces.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and baking powder together.
- Stir the sugar, salt, bacon, sun-dried tomatoes, chives and three quarters of the cheese into the flour mixture and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and melted butter and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined - the batter should be lumpy, but with no dry pockets of flour.
- Fill the muffin cases with the mixture and sprinkle the tops with the reserved Edam.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until risen and firm. Delicious eaten warm or cold.