Chocolate orange cake
Prep time:plus cooling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Chocolate orange cake is the combination of all our favourite flavours in the world - think Terry's Chocolate Orange but in sponge format! Or a jaffa cake-cake....We love the zesty freshness of the orange against the richness of the chocolate. Chocolate orange cake you really are our absolutely favourite! One to make when the kids have gone back to school and you fancy a mid-week treat for yourself. Or if you think you could bear to share it with them, the chocolate orange cake is easy and quick enough to make with the kids during the holidays. Just make sure you get first dibs on licking the chocolate bowl though!
- 4 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 190g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 100ml mild, light olive oil
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 orange
For the icing:
- 75g softened butter
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g plain chocolate, melted
- 25g plain chocolate, chopped
- Orange zest to decorate (if desired)
Click to see our How to line a round cake tin video
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºF/350ºF/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm (8-inch) round cake tin with lightly oiled baking parchment paper.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl, over a pan of simmering water. Use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs until creamy and thick, enough to leave a trail when the whisk heads are lifted from the mixture.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa and baking powder and gently fold in. When the flour is almost mixed in, add the olive oil, orange zest and juice and gently fold in.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 mins or until the cake is risen and spongy - the sponge should bounce back when lightly touched in the centre. Cool in the tin for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, cream the butter and icing sugar together with an electric whisk until fluffy. Add the chocolate and whisk again until smooth.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cold cake, then decorate with the chopped chocolate. Serve in wedges decorated with orange zest if desired.
Like this? You’ll love Mary Berry’s chocolate cake recipe