Baked egg custard
Skill level: Easy peasy
This easy baked egg custard recipe is a classic dessert that everyone will love. With a smooth texture, this basic custard recipe is a delicious mood-booster. It's really easy to make this baked egg custard recipe and you only need five ingredients, so it turns out to be a cheap recipe to make too. Preparing this dish is so simple and it only takes 10 minutes, so you won’t have to spend that long in the kitchen. Then all you have to do is leave it in the oven for 1hr to bake, when you can go off and finish your main course if you’re preparing a big dinner for family or friends, or simply carry on with your day. This dessert is a simple treat and you can make it low fat too if you’re watching your diet – all you have to do is use alternatives like skimmed milk, which will also save you some calories. This custard recipe is a real family winner that you'll want to make time and time again because it’s so easy. This custard recipe serves 2 people, so we'd recommend doubling the ingredients if feeding more than 2 people – it’s better to have leftovers! Serve with a side of stewed or tinned fruit for dessert – it’s the perfect combination. During warm weather, summer fruits like berries go really well with this baked egg custard, but you can also go for stewed pears, apples or even rhubarb during colder months for a delicious winter-warmer.
- 450ml (3/4 pint) milk
- Few drops vanilla essence
- 40g (1 ½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- A little grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4.
- Heat the milk, vanilla essence and sugar in a small pan until nearly boiling, then pour the mixture over the beaten egg, stirring continuously.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a 600ml (1 pint) ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle over a little nutmeg, then bake for 50-60 mins until set.
- Serve with stewed or tinned fruit.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.