Caramel chocolate cupcakes
Cooking time:(may need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
These caramel chocolate cupcakes are so delicious you won't be able to stop at one. And the kids will love helping you to decorate them. Using caramel sauce in these cupcakes gives a great caramel flavour, but also helps to make them really moist. Slathered with a layer of caramel and chocolate on top too, they’re a really sweet treat to try this week.
For the cupcakes:
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa
- 125g (4oz) soft dark brown sugar
- Half a 397g jar of caramel sauce or condensed milk
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g (5oz) butter, softened
For the topping:
- Half a 397g jar of caramel sauce
- 200g bar plain chocolate, melted
- 84 brightly coloured sweets
- 12-hole muffin tray, lined with paper cases
Experiment with different kinds of sweets to decorate these cupcakes, like liquorice allsorts or white chocolate buttons
- To make this cupcake recipe, set the oven to 190ºC (380°F/gas mark 5).
- Start with the cupcakes. Sift the flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Add the caramel sauce or condensed milk, eggs and butter to the bowl and beat until the mixture is smooth. Divide the mixture between the paper cases in the bun tray.
- Bake the cakes in the centre of the oven for 15-20 mins or until they have risen and are just firm to the touch. Remove the cakes from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the topping, warm the remaining caramel sauce or condensed milk very slightly and stir in the chocolate.
- Leave the mixture to cool and thicken slightly and then spread it over the top of the cup cakes. Arrange 7 sweets on the top of each. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 442(kcal)
- Fat 27.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.