Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Get creative with eggs. This baked dish with peppers, tomatoes, mushroom and sweetcorn is tasty, healthy and easy to make.
- 4 large eggs
- 2tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, skinned and sliced
- 100g (4oz mushrooms, wiped and finely sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 x 198g can sweetcorn, drained
We’ve used this recipe in our credit crunch meal planner. Click here to go back to week two of the planner.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft but not brown. Add the red pepper to the pan and fry for a further 10 mins.
- Stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley and seasoning and continue cooking until the tomatoes begin to soften. Stir in the sweetcorn and remove the frying pan from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish. Using the back of a spoon, make 4 small depressions in the vegetable mixture and break an egg into each depression.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until eggs have set. Serve hot with fresh bread.