Ratatouille stuffed peppers
Cooking time:(May need an extra 5 mins)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Ratatouille stuffed peppers are so easy! For a light but filling meal, these roasted whole peppers stuffed with rice and courgette are perfect. You can add ham or chicken too.
- 5 red peppers
- 50g wholegrain rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 courgette, finely diced
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
For a non-vegetarian option, stir in some diced ham, salami or cooked chicken before spooning into the pepper shells.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (gas mark 6).
- Halve 4 of the peppers lengthways, de-seed and place on a large baking tray.
- Cook the rice in boiling water according to pack instructions then drain.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in 1 tbsp oil for 5 mins. Finely dice the remaining pepper and add to the onions with the courgette and cook for 2-3 mins. Stir in the tomatoes, season well and cook for a further 5 mins.
- Stir the rice into the vegetable mixture and spoon into the halved peppers. Top with the breadcrumbs and bake for 15-20 mins until browned. Serve with a fresh green salad.