- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- Pared zest and juice of 4 lemons
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 125-150g (4-5oz) raspberries
Don't pour the lemonade into sealed bottles until just before the picnic as it may start to ferment slightly. Not suitable for freezing.
- Place the pearl barley in a sieve and rinse it with boiling water to wash off any dusty residue.
- Pour 2 litres (3Ĺ pints) water into a saucepan, add the pearl barley and lemon rind and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer the mixture for about 30 mins.
- Strain the mixture into a jug and add the sugar, stirring until it's dissolved, then pour in the lemon juice and leave the mixture to cool.
- Crush the raspberries using a potato masher, then strain the juice into the bowl with the barley water. Chill the cordial.
- When ready to use, dilute the cordial to taste, with approximately equal quantities of cold water. The cordial may be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge.
Cook's tip: Don't pour the lemonade into sealed bottles until just before the picnic as it may start to ferment slightly. Not suitable for freezing.Per serving: 125 calories; 0g fatFeature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Chris Alack. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 125(kcal)
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.