Low and light chicken shashlik
Prep time:(plus 2-3 hours marinating time)
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
The next best thing to tandoori chicken, these chicken skewers are a great way to eat more - and no sauce makes it even healthier.
- 2tbsp natural unsweetened yogurt
- Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1tsp ground coriander
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 1tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2tsp tomato puree
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
Try this with other veg too like mushrooms and baby corn. You can also cook this on a barbecue - just make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly and don't use any leftover marinade to brush the cooked chicken with.
- Soak 8-10 wooden skewers. In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, garlic, ginger, black pepper, coriander, chilli powder, cumin, salt and tomato puree. Add the chicken and mix well, coating all the pieces. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers, alternating the meat with chunks of onion, tomato and green pepper. Brush with oil, then grill for 15 mins until cooked through and golden brown.
- To achieve the sizzling effect, heat an iron plate. Then place the chicken skewers onto the plate and splash a few drops of water and oil on it.