Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Easy peasy
Mushroom soup is a really easy and simple soup recipe to make and can be on the table in under an hour. You can make this homemade mushroom soup recipe in just three steps. This creamy mushroom soup will take around 35 mins to prepare and cook and serves 2 people. Look out for value packs of mushrooms to use if you're planning to prepare this mushroom soup – they don’t need to be perfect looking or all the same shape. Large open cup or brown cap mushrooms will give the best flavour, simply wipe with a damp piece of kitchen paper to remove any bits of earth before frying – there is no need to wash them. Double or triple the quantities if you're feeding more people with this creamy mushroom soup recipe. Leftovers can be frozen or stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. This mushroom soup recipe is also a healthy option for dinner or lunch, with plenty of vitamins and minerals that are great for your health like selenium and iron. Serve with thick slices of sourdough bread so you can dunk them in this tasty soup.
For an extra earthy flavour, soak a handful of dried mixed mushrooms in boiling water for 30 mins then add the mushrooms and soaking liquid to the stock.
IngredientsFor this mushroom soup you will need:
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 400g mushrooms, wiped and roughly chopped
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml double cream
- Freshly chopped parsley and finely chopped mushroom, to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large pan and fry the shallots and garlic for 5 mins until softened but not brown. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock and season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Simmer for 10 mins until the mushrooms are very tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 mins, then puree the soup with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Stir the cream into the pureed soup and heat through gently for 2-3 mins. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve in warmed bowls garnished with parsley and chopped mushroom.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.