Gino D'Acampo's goat's walnut and goat cheese stuffed roasted tomatoes
Filled with goat's cheese, walnuts, mozzarella and basil, these roasted tomatoes are delicious served on top of toasted thick white bread.
- 6 beef tomatoes
- 2tbsp crushed walnuts
- 180g goat's cheese, without the rind and crumbled
- 150g mini mozzarella balls
- 6 thick slices of white bread
- 2tbsp freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato and discard then cut the top of each tomato and reserve. Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the seeds and most of the pulp and discard, keeping the tomato shells whole.
- In a bowl, mix together the mozzarella, walnuts, goat's cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper and spoon into the tomato shells. (3 mini mozzarella balls per tomato).
- With the help of an 8cm round pastry cutter, stamp out 6 rounds from the bread slices and toast on both sides.
- When ready, place the bread in a single layer in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish. Place the tomatoes on top of each toasted piece of bread and cook in the middle of a preheated oven at 190º (375°F, gas mark 5) for approx 15-20 mins until the cheese mixture looks melted and golden. (Make sure that the tomatoes are not too soft).
- Serve immediately and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top.