One-pan sausage pasta
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 thick herby sausages eg, Sicilian or Lincolnshire
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 200g packet diced onion or or 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 250g carton sliced or button mushrooms
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 ham stock cubes
- 250g penne pasta
- 200g packet sliced runner beans
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Crusty bread, to serve
This recipe uses ready-prepared vegetables to save on the peeling and chopping that?s tricky to when not at home. Alternatively, prepare the veg at home, put it in plastic freezer bags and store in a coolox, to keep the veg as fresh as possible. Use scissors to snip the streaky bacon into pieces. This dish isn?t suitable for freezing
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Cook the sausages over a medium heat for 5-7 mins until they start to brown then add the bacon and onion and cook for a further 5-7 mins until the onion starts to soften and the bacon is starting to turn golden. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 mins, until they start to soften.
- Tip the canned tomatoes into the pan, pour in 1 litre water and stir in the stock cubes. Bring the mixture to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for about 12 mins. Add the beans and simmer for a further 3-5 mins or until the pasta and beans are just tender. If the sauce gets too thick, add a little extra water. If it?s too liquidy, increase the heat and boil itrapidly so the excess evaporates.
- Season to taste with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.
Cook's tip: This recipe uses ready-prepared vegetables to save on the peeling and chopping that?s tricky to when not at home. Alternatively, prepare the veg at home, put it in plastic freezer bags and store in a coolox, to keep the veg as fresh as possible. Use scissors to snip the streaky bacon into pieces. This dish isn?t suitable for freezingPer serving: 727 calories; 42g fatRecipes and food stylist: Sue McMahon. Photos: Simon Pask.
Nutritional information per portion
- Calories 727(kcal)
- Fat 42.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.